Here is a list of tips to think about before you have your senior session:
Hair & Makeup
- Stay true to yourself. If you’re going to go to a salon to get your hair done, do it a week in advance so your hair looks it’s best. Now is not the time to try a new hairstyle or new makeup. This is about who you are. Feel free to bring along what you need to change your hair style, such as putting it up for different poses but there won’t be enough time to totally change your style such as, for example, curling your hair to change it from straight. Make sure that you don’t use too much makeup because it will definitely show up in your photos. Even if you don’t use makeup normally, a little goes a long way to cover up blemishes that might appear on the day of your session. Make sure to get a manicure and possibly a pedicure also. Fingernails stand out in photos and you want to look your best. If you use nail polish, use something subtle. You don’t want your fingernails or toenails being the highlight of the photo.
- Bring along your hairbrush, lipstick, a pocket-mirror, powder and hair-clips.
- Sorry guys, no makeup tips for you. Get a haircut a week in advance if you’re going to. This way it has time to grow just a little and look great! Shower, shave and brush your teeth! Photos bring out all the highlights and shadows and you don’t want to look like you have a 5 o’clock shadow, a bed head (it happens) or nasty teeth. Act like it’s Prom Night and you’ll do great.
- Wear neutral, matching colors. Using colors that contrast, such as black and white, take away from what should be the focus of your photos, your face. Loud, bright colors and busy patterns also draw the attention away from who you are. Don’t bring an all white outfit as it will wash you out.
- Bring along at least two changes of shirts and pants. Girls, bring along three or four changes of clothes if you want. Jackets can be a nice addition too.
- Hang your clothes. Folding leaves lines and putting them in bags create wrinkles. Also, ladies, watch out what color bra you use. Dark undergarments against a light colored top can be seen easily in photos and vice-versa.
- Stay away from commercial logos on your t-shirts.
Props, Accessories, Pets
- Bring along anything that you want. Have a favorite pet that you love? Bring them too. Just make sure you bring someone along to handle your pet while we take other photos. If you have any props you want to highlight, such as skis, football, trumpet, purses, jewelry, shoes. etc., please bring them too. This is about you. Love to read? Bring a book and we’ll get a couple photos of that too! If you’re not sure, ask!
- Get a good night’s sleep. Bags under the eyes aren’t something you want to see. Yes, I can clean them up, but it takes a lot more work and if I have to do a lot of retouching instead of enhancing, there will be an extra charge.
- If you wear glasses and don’t have the added anti-glare on them, consider taking out your lenses for the session. Glasses can reflect the light from the flash or sun and create a glare that can’t be fixed.
- Bring your mom, your dad, or BOTH! A parent can be a great assistant, both to you and to me. Want some photos with them? No problem. How about siblings? Same thing. If you want photos with your siblings, just tell me in advance!
- What about friends? Of course we can do that too! If you and your friend(s) want to each do a session at the same time, then we will lower the fee for both of you. It’s a win-win for everyone! (Not available for the basic session)
- Voyageurs students receive a 5% discount on the final cost, not including tax. Please bring your Student ID for proof.
- Have an immediate family member (mother, father, sister, brother) in Emergency Services (Fire, Law Enforcement or EMS)? Receive an additional 10% discount, not including tax. Proof must be shown before discount is applied, an ID card, license or certificate works fine.